In the Community
KOMO TV, KUNS TV & FRSEA
- Created a year-long Stop Diabetes campaign with the American Diabetes Association helping the organization raise $477,000 and increased public awareness about the pervasive disease.
- Helped the Seattle Humane Society raise $795,000 and increase pet adoption.
- Gave away a free photo shoot and photos to local military families with loved ones deployed. The event had a promotional value of $48, 600.
- Promoted a School Supplies Drive to benefit the Friends of the Children with news coverage, PSAs and web coverage. Over 300 children were provided with backpacks and other essential school supplies.
- Promoted the Salvation Army’s Angel Giving Tree, which provides gifts to needy children and seniors. The effort provided approximately 8,000 gifts to local children and 1,000 to local seniors who otherwise would have gone without.
- KATU General Manager, John Tamerlano, competed in the Salvation Army’s Bell Ringing Contest. KATU and John beat the competition, raising $1,800 for the Salvation Army.
- Collected over 25,000 lbs of food and raised $2,000 in donations during the 2nd Annual CanDo Food Drive
- Raised over 2.4 million miles in the 2nd Annual Make-A-Wish Foundation telethon.
- Sponsored the 11th Annual Teddy Bear Toss at which over 8,000 stuffed toys were collected for distribution by the United Way.
- Local sponsor for the Amgen Tour of California when it passed through Bakersfield.
- Local media sponsor for the March of Dimes, March for Babies Walk through which $280,000 was raised for the organization.
- Co-sponsored the Drive, Drop and Donate Campaign through which 57,000 pounds of food was collected along with $20,000 in cash donations.
- Promoted multiple blood drives by the American Red Cross resulted in the collection of more than 800 units of blood in 2010.
Fisher has a legacy of serving the community and setting the standard for innovation and journalistic excellence. Fisher envisions making life better in the communities served by connecting and empowering people through local news and information.
In 2010, radio stations, television stations and websites owned by Fisher Communications, Inc. devoted considerable airtime and web based promotional efforts to Public Service Announcements, charitable causes and community events at an approximate value of $14,204,763. In addition, over $27 million was raised at station sponsored and/or promoted charitable events, over 17 million frequent flier miles were donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and 952 thousand pounds of food was distributed to various local charities. In the course of achieving these impressive results, Fisher stations partnered with organizations such as the Make- A-Wish Foundation, United Way, Habitat for Humanity, American Cancer Society, American Red Cross, March of Dimes, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, YWCA, YMCA and Girl Scouts USA.
On an individual basis, Fisher employees were also actively involved in their local communities serving on the Boards of such organizations as:
- United Way of King County, Alex de Tocqueville Chair
- Girls Scouts of Western Washington
- 5th Avenue Theatre
- Washington Athletic Club
- City of Hope’s Walk for Hope Advisory Board
- KMIH Radio Advisory Board (MIHS)
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Gala Committee
- Pike Market Senior Center & Downtown Food Bank
- Make-A-Wish Foundation
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Bald Face Truth
- The Bouand Dance Company
Fisher expects each of its employees to contribute his or her best efforts and energies with high integrity in serving the Company’s viewers, listeners, advertisers and communities. Fisher is committed to quality, innovation and the discipline of strong financial stewardship.